Department of Guru Nanak Sikh Studies
About Department of Guru Nanak Sikh Studies
- Area of Specialisation
The department was established in pursuance of scheme of the Punjab Government and University Grants Commission to conduct, guide and organize study and research of various aspects of the life, work and teachings of Guru Nanak in particular, and of the Sikh religion, history, philosophy, culture and literature etc. in general and of any other area of study and research relevant to the area of Sikh Studies.
- Major Areas of-Research
- Long Range Projects
- The department has undertaken the preparation of a series of source books and reference works to serve as basic tools and instruments of research for the scientific and systematic study of the religion and history of the Sikhs.
- A dictionary of Sikhism.
- Regional Studies and Surveys of the Sikhs settled in different parts of India and foreign countries, influenced by the way in which their life and thought have been influenced by the new environments, and vice-versa and assessment of their contribution from the socio-economic point of view to the lands of their adoption.
- A Study and Survey of Sikh Orders: That is an objective study and extensive survey of the origin, growth and contribution of the Sikh Orders, known as Samparadayyas such as Udasis, Nirmalas, Sevapanthis, Nirankaris and Namdharis etc.
- Project Proposed
Some new proposals for further development of the department are being worked out. These include :
- A survey of Historical Sikh Shrines.
- Panjab University Bulletin of Sikh Studies.
- Starting a Research Journal in Comparative Research.
- Etymological Study of the Gurmat Literature (Gurbani).
- Short Range Programmes
- Papers & Monographs on Sikh Studies : Seventeen titles have been published and some more are expected to be added shortly.
- General Study &. Research : Research on various aspects of Punjabi and Sikh Studies have been presented or published from time to time, in the form of books, research papers and articles.
- Lectures on Sikh Studies : The department also aims at stimulating interest in Sikh Studies and Disseminating knowledge on the subject, sharing it with the people at large. Extension lectures on various aspects of Sikhism are given by the Chairman at various places from time to time.
- Guru Nanak Vichar Kosh : To be realised a dictionary of the thought of Guru Nanak.
- Facilities available for Research
- Ph.D. work on Sikh Studies : Facilities exist for research guidance leading to the Ph.D. degree.
The Department enrols and guides suitable candidates who have obtained M.A./M.Sc. degree in any subject under the Faculty of Arts, Languages and Science of any University for the same.
- Reference Library on Sikh Studies : The department maintains a specialized library on religious studies in general and on Sikh Studies in particular.
- Research Fellowship in Sikh Studies : One research fellowship is available for the persons having special aptitude for research and ability to assist the department in its projects and programmes.
Enquiry No(s): 1800-180-2065, +91 172 2534818, 2534866 (from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm & 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm on working days including Saturday)